BEDOURIE - HOME OF THE BEDOURIE CAMPDRAFT, RACES AND RODEO BEDOURIE - HOME OF THE BEDOURIE CAMPDRAFT, RACES AND RODEO

National Park  

Bedourie, meaning ‘dust storm', is a quaint little town with a population of 120 people.

Perched on a sand dune and surrounded by Eyre Creek, it is the administrative centre of the huge 95,000 square kilometre Diamantina Shire, and perfect for a one-of-a-kind outback Queensland adventure to the far west.
 

Did you know?
Bedourie was a major watering and rest stop in the 1880's for drovers moving cattle from the Northern Territory and northwest Queensland to the customs collection point in Birdsville, 200 kilometres to the south.

Facilities

For a small community, the town has excellent facilities including a hotel/motel, two caravan parks, a restaurant and tavern, general store, wireless internet, fuel services, medical clinic and a police station.

Attractions

Must visit Town attractions on your outback Queensland adventure to the far west and Diamantina include:

  • The historic Bedourie Mud Hut
  • Bedourie Outback Golf Course
  • Artesian Spa and Aquatic Centre
  • The historic Bedourie Hotel
  • The cemetery
  • The new artistic representation of a dust storm that stands on Herbert Street.


Attractions around Bedourie include:

  • The Vaughan Johnson Lookout
  • The renowned wetland of Cuttaburra Crossing
  • Carcoory Ruins, and
  • The Diamantina National Park – one of Australia's top ten National Parks.

Bedourie is an RV friendly town with ample parking for caravans, RV's and 4WD vehicles.  There are plenty of accommodation options for grey nomads, back packers, and other visitors.  See Businesses and Accommodation page. 

 

Bedourie Camp Oven   

Bedourie - Home of the Bedourie Camp Oven.

Borne out of necessity under a tree during the 1920s by a tin smith, the Bedourie Camp Oven was constructed for the drovers and cameleers who were having problems with their outback cookware. The cast iron ovens they carried were cracking and breaking under the harsh conditions of the outback.
Over time, the design for the oven was refined and was manufactured from spun steel with a tight fitting lid. In 1945, R.M. Williams began selling the ovens, and in 1966, an R.M. Williams catalogue listed the Bedourie Camp Oven with heavy duty rolled edges for sale at two pounds, fifteen shillings ($5.50).

In 2001, the Australian Government recognised the origins of the Bedourie Camp Oven as ‘Uniquely Australian' and noted its significance as an improvised oven used by the pioneers of the Queensland outback. In recognition of the iconic oven, a street in the ACT was named Bedourie Street in March 2001.